The energy distributors in Sydney (both Ausgrid and Endeavour Energy) have a regulation that you must have a 3 phase power supply to install a 5kW solar system or larger. This means that for most houses in Sydney looking to install solar power, you are limited to an inverter that is less than 5kWs.
The great news is that thanks to developments in technology, we are now able to limit the amount of excess solar power sent to the grid, which allows us to install a larger solar system than 5kW, even if you have single phase power.
How would it feel to say goodbye to your power bills this year?
We now have customers like Peter running their home on solar power 24/7, and paying quarterly power bills well under $100 a quarter:
“I am pleased to be able to say that the system has worked flawlessly since commissioning and has exceeded my expectations.
Our last monthly bill was $10.5the 3 – same bill was $198.79 (2015) and $163.67 (2016)”
Sounds good? Simply fill out the form below and we will give you a call:
Your Options for a Single Phase House in Sydney
SolarEdge and Enphase solar systems now allow us to limit the amount of power your system sends to the grid to 5 kW. This means you are no longer limited to a 5kW solar system in Sydney. Here are a few options that we would be happy to talk to you about in more detail based on your location and specific requirements:
- We can install a single phase string inverter up to 5kW. For households that use less than 20kWh during the daytime, this will probably be the best option.
- If you are interested in Enphase, we can install 21 x S230 (4.83kW) Microinverters, or 18 x S270 (4.86kW) Microinverters to stay under the 5kW limit. By over-sizing the Enphase micro inverters, you can install a significantly larger solar array than 5kW with, for example, 21 x Trina Honey 270W panels for a 5.67kW array, or 18 x LG NeON 2 330W panels, for a 5.94kW system. More information is available here…
- If you are using a lot of power during the daytime, or you are considering a large solar battery such as Tesla Powerwall 2, we can install a 5kW SolarEdge system, and then oversize the inverter with a panel array of up to around 6.5 kW. An oversized panel array is a great way to maximise the benefit of your investment, and typically we can go up to 130% of the inverter’s rating. More information is available here…
- In some cases, we can install inverters as large as the 7.3kW SolarEdge single phase inverter with a panel array up to around 9.5kW! This system will not clip the amount of solar power into the home, however any excess solar power that is not used in the home or stored in a battery will be sent to the grid and will be limited to 5kW. This is a fantastic option for households looking to install a large solar battery such as the Tesla Powerwall 2. Excess solar power can be fed into the battery, or we can utilise new home automation products now available from SolarEdge to redirect most of the excess solar into appliances such as an air conditioner, pool pumps, under floor heating, hot water or other appliances, rather than sending it back to the grid.
Contact the solar and storage experts at Solaray and find out how we can help you design a system based on your specific requirements, with the possibility of installing up to a 9.5kW panel array, even on a single phase home!
If You Have Three Phase Power
If you have three phase power you can install whatever size solar system you like.
- For smaller systems, a single phase inverter works perfectly well with 3 phase power, because your new digital meter reconciles the 3 phases of your home, essentially performing the function of a 3 phase inverter. Because of this, we would normally not recommend installing a 3 phase inverter for a system under 5kWs, it is a complete waste of money.
- If you have high day time power usage and you want a larger solar system to cover your needs, you should be looking to install at least a 6kW or 7kW system to make sure you are seeing a good return on the investment you make into a 3 phase inverter.
For example, a 7kW SMA Tri Power inverter is only $400 more than a 5kW model. By installing a 7kW system, you can save up to a further $800 a year off your power bills compared with a 5kW system, reducing the time the system takes to pay for itself.
If you have any questions regarding these regulations and your options, please request a callback using the form below. We would be happy to help recommend the best option for your home or business to ensure you maximise the benefit of your system: